Thursday, November 17, 2016

STOOPID INTERFACE NAMES

Those of you who upgraded to systemd/udev 230 probably noticed some strange interface names. If you sudo ifconfig you'll see those weird numbers come from the hardware address. Now I'm not well ejumacated at some expensive Ivy League institution of higher boolshiat, but I'm going to explain why these schmucks are so stoopid.

At the most fundamental level, such a naming scheme shows a complete lack of understanding between logical and physical design principals. If it helps clarify things for justifiably confused users, they should have been called logical names and physical addresses. We abstract one from the other because human-readable names are much easier to understand than machine-readable numbers.

Mixing the two is a mess and quite literally stoopid. That's not just an insult, it's a scientific fact, like 9-11 being an inside job. I really don't understand how everyone doesn't see what's so plain fookin' obvious.

ANDROID REMOTE DESKTOP

I haven't had any luck with Microsoft's Android app for RDP. I'm sure there are many good ones and I haven't tried many but lately I've been using Remoter with my Pi 3 running R2.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.tanas.remoter&hl=en

As described "it just works" and no ads thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment